Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Julia Child and Rachael Ray

My daughter, whose does a great Rachael Ray imitation, will like this commentary, by chef Anthony Bourdain:

Where the saintly Julia Child sought to raise expectations, to enlighten us, make us better -- teach us -- and in fact, did, Rachael uses her strange and terrible powers to narcotize her public with her hypnotic mantra of Yummo and Evoo and Sammys. "You're doing just fine. You don't even have to chop an onion -- you can buy it already chopped. Aspire to nothing . . . Just sit there. Have another Triscuit . . . Sleep . . . sleep. . . ."
From a longer commentary on Food Network personalities:
Nobody Asked Me But (ruhlman.com, via kottke.org)
September 6, 2011: That link is gone, but the commentary lives on at the Internet Archive.

comments: 4

Anonymous said...

Which reminds me... I was watching Unwrapped the other day and saw something about a website where you can order candy and other things such as Sen-Sen. For whatever reason, I remember you talking about that in-class. I think it's oldtimecandy.com or something similar... Anyway, I thought I'd let you know.

Michael Leddy said...

Yes, oldtimecandy.com it is. Thanks for reminding me -- I'm looking at the site now and enjoying the Proustian accounts of being brought back to childhood by the smell of Choward's Scented Gum.

Is this AK writing? Someone else?

Anonymous said...

You got me!!! Yes, it's AK. If you don't mind, please tell Rachel I said hello...

Michael Leddy said...

Will do!