Thursday, March 15, 2007

The National Philharmonic of Russia

The National Philharmonic of Russia is on its first United States tour, with piano soloist Olga Kern. If you live in or near a city where the NPR and Kern are performing, try to get tickets. You won't be disappointed -- if, that is, you can get tickets.

My wife Elaine and I heard the NPR and Kern last night at the University of Illinois' Krannert Center in an all-Russian program: Shostakovich's Festive Overture, Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, and Shostakovich's Symphony No. 5 in D minor. I went to be a good guy and pick up some Husband Points. But I soon figured out that I was listening to one of the most exciting, thrilling performances I'd ever heard.

Elaine's review of the concert (Musical Assumptions)

National Philharmornic of Russia Begins Debut U.S. Tour (Playbill)

Olga Kern plays Rachmaninoff (not with the NPR) (YouTube)

comments: 0