Thursday, September 6, 2012

Streetside gum machines


[Perry Mason, “The Case of the Ominous Outcast,” May 21, 1960.]

I know that Perry Mason isn’t reality, but the above image suggests that wall-mounted gum machines were indeed found on mid-twentieth-century American streets.

Why these machines caught my eye: one, two, three installments of the comic strip Henry.

comments: 4

Pete said...

Whaaat? Not real? But Della Street was real, right? Right?

I used to avidly watch the Perry Mason reruns that WTBS showed every day at 11:05 a.m. And I've been a fan of "Casey At The Bat" since childhood. So recently I was pleasantly surprised to learn that William Hopper (who played Paul Drake) was the son of DeWitt Hopper, the stage actor who first popularized Casey with his public recitations.

Michael Leddy said...

Google Maps lists nine Della Streets, so I guess she is real after all. I remember reading about WH’s father on your blog. He also was known for Gilbert and Sullivan roles, which helps explain why Paul and Perry quote a G and S song at the end of one episode. I wonder if they ever made reference to Casey.

Mason is now on the Hallmark Movie Channel and Me-TV, various times, day and night. I try to catch just a few minutes a day. Love that mid-century material culture.

Pete said...

And the cocktail lounges are particularly enticing.

Michael Leddy said...

Yes. I’d like a compilation of many episodes’ last few minutes — lounges, restaurants, take-out food in Perry’s office.