Monday, January 30, 2017

Quintessential Love

I’ve avoided Mike Love’s autobiography, but seeing it in a Barnes and Noble, I had to look. I was surprised to see that the copies were signed: Love [big space] Mike Love, no comma in between. I browsed the pages of photographs and noticed one that shows a group sitting crosslegged in meditation, amid candles, flowers, and teacups. The caption is quintessential Love:

This meditative gathering included my lawyer Mike Flynn, front left, who won my copyright suit against Brian.

Mike Love, Good Vibrations: My Life as a Beach Boy, with James S. Hirsch (New York: Blue Rider Press, 2016).
Yep, that’s Mike Love. The settling of scores is never far from his meditative mind.

Related reading
All OCA Beach Boys posts (Pinboard)

comments: 2

Unknown said...

"The settling of scores…" Small wonder then that Mr. Love boasts of his good relationship with our current president, the latter's small-mindedness and petulance a match for Mike's, grudge by grudge. I happened upon Dan Rather's televised interview with Love recently and will admit to being grossed out by Rather's fawning 'Mike is really the genius' treatment of his subject. Mike didn't seem to mind it at all.

Michael Leddy said...

Just when I was starting to like Dan Rather again. I came close to mentioning DT but decided to leave it for anyone who wanted to make the connection, so I’m glad that you did. Maybe Mike can head up the Ministry of Love. (I’m reading Nineteen Eighty-Four.)