Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Glen Campbell (1936–2017)

When I was younger, he was everywhere on radio and television. It was difficult to see past the shiny and acknowledge the musicianship. As I grew older, I came to know his work as a member of the Wrecking Crew, as an adjunct Beach Boy, and as the singer in a great Bacharach-style Brian Wilson production. And I learned much more about him from the documentary I’ll Be Me (dir. James Keach, 2014). Today is a good time to check back in with Glen Campbell’s last song, “I’m Not Gonna Miss You.”

The New York Times has an obituary.

comments: 1

Slywy said...

My parents were big fans. While I've never been keen on country music (even then, when it was good), "Wichita Lineman" is one of my favorite songs. It's one of those that, like "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" and "Sundown" haunts me.