Monday, December 4, 2017

Van Dyke Parks meets
Merle Haggard

As told by Kinky Friedman:

“Van Dyke was worried he’d get lynched because, well, he’s a sort of Noel Coward type,” Friedman says. “So he asked everybody, ‘How long have you known Merle?’ And every one of them would answer, ‘Ever since.’ ‘Ever since,' 'Ever since,’ ‘Ever since.’ So he asked me, ‘What does that mean, ever since?’ I told him, ‘Ever since prison, stupid!’ Stupid is one thing Van Dyke is not. But ever since prison.
Related reading
All OCA Van Dyke Parks posts (Pinboard)

[“A sort of Noel Coward type”? What?!]

comments: 3

count reeshard said...

This is a wonderful anecdote, Prof. Leddy, and I'm glad to have read it this morning. It also serves to remind of your endorsement of my little 33 1/3 VDP book, some seven years back. I remain grateful both for your encouraging words and your ongoing pro-VDP stance. That posts from OCA continue through the present day is nothing I take for granted. Thanks again for all that. R

Michael Leddy said...

Thank you, sir. As long as I have anything to say about it, Orange Crate Art will just keep rolling along, like ol’ man river or Sisyphus’s boulder.

Stefan said...

I enjoyed your book, Count, and I'm glad to have a chance to say so here. It was my first 33.3 book, on Michael's recommendation, and now I've read many more of them. It is really fun to think about VDP and Merle Haggard in conversation. So thanks to you both.